Makes 8-10 small waffles
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed meal
- 2 ½ tbsp water
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg (optional)
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¾ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or other non-dairy milk)
- 3 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 small bananas, mashed
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- non-stick spray
- Stir together flaxseed meal and water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Whisk together all dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- In a small cup, microwave coconut oil on 50% power until melted (about 1 minute). In a medium bowl, microwave almond milk on 50% power until lukewarm (about 20 seconds).
- Add melted coconut oil, maple syrup, mashed bananas, and vanilla to the almond milk. Whisk to combine.
- Gently fold wet ingredients into dry mixture until just combined with no floury streaks. Set aside.
- Preheat a waffle iron (on medium-high if your waffle iron has a temperature setting).
- Once hot, grease a waffle iron with non-stick spray (I use coconut oil). Use an ice cream scoop or 1/3 measuring cup to measure out batter for each waffle. Makes approximately 8-10 small waffles.
Adapted from The Pancake Princess.