That pretty much sums up this key lime curd ice cream.
It’s the perfect dish for lazy summer afternoons.
For some added yum, try topping your ice cream with Annie’s Bunny Grahams (or Teddy Grahams, not playing brand favorites) and whipped cream.
Makes 1-1/2 to 2 pints
KEY LIME CURD
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp grated key lime zest
1/4 cup key lime juice
4 tbsp unsalted butter
ICE CREAM BASE
1 3/4 cup cream
3/4 cup 2% milk
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 tsp salt
5 egg yolks
- Prepare key lime curd. Combine sugar, eggs, lime zest, and juice in a medium nonreactive saucepan, and set over medium-low heat. Cook, whisking constantly until mixture begins to thicken and holds the mark of the whisk, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove pan from heat, and whisk in butter, 1 tbsp at a time, until well combined. Strain the mixture through a sieve into a glass bowl. Cover with plastic wrap, laying the plastic directly onto the surface of the curd to prevent a skin from forming. Chill 3 hours or overnight to set the curd.
- Prepare ice cream base. In a medium-size saucepan whisk together cream, milk, 1/2 cup of the sugar and salt. Heat over medium/low heat until steaming.
- In a separate medium-sized bowl, whisk the egg yolks and slowly add the remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- When the cream mixture is hot and steaming, slowly pour a small amount of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture stirring constantly. Continue to add at least 1/2 of the hot cream mixture.
- Gently pour the egg/cream mixture back into the pan and cook over low heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. When the mixture coats the back of the spoon, remove from heat and pour into an airtight container. Cover and refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight.
- Freeze the bowl of an ice cream maker.
- When ready to make the ice cream, pour the custard base into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturer’s instructions. Add lemon curd the last 5 – 10 minutes of mixing. Mix until incorporated then transfer to an airtight container and freeze until serving.
Adapted slightly from Instapot.Online.